moderated Re: Strip winmail.dat file from incoming group messages #suggestion

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Do we know if any other email service (Gmail/Yahoo/etc) strips these attachments?

It's a MIME format message segment. I don't think anybody drops it. Outside of Microsoft, there's also not much support for it.

Here's some background info from Mozilla.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/what-winmaildat-attachment

I work on KDE's email software. There's a program that is supposed to handle these attachments, but I've never been able to make it work.
https://invent.kde.org/pim/ktnef

FWIW, my group generates 300 - 400 messages per month, and I moderate all attachments. I have never seen a winmail.dat atttachment in the moderation queue. I have seen a lot of attachments on messages composed by Mail for Windows 10, but those have all been small .png images (a dot, or a line). I tell my members when I see these, and most people have been able to correct the misconfiguration without a lot of help.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas