moderated Re: Change "Moderated" hashtag new topics so only the replies are moderated #suggestion #bug

Since this just came up in docs, I want to add here a point I made there but did not sufficiently emphasize here: If a hashtag marked "Locked" is applied to a topic on topic creation, only the replies are locked (i.e., bounce), which is correct behavior. Because imagine what would happen if Locked behaved the same way as Moderated currently does, namely, if it applied even to the first message. In that case the first message itself would bounce, locking even the topic itself out of existence.  You couldn't even create the topic. So at minimum, the behavior of a hashtag with these two attributes is inconsistent.

I understand that people have been exploiting this bug (or feature, if they prefer) to restrict use of certain hashtags. But I don't think that's the way to do it. And if the behavior stays as is, it certainly needs to be clearly documented, because I find it totally unintuitive.