moderated Re: Really lock a topic #suggestion

In addition to the locking problem, sometimes it’s useful to issue some sort of final pronouncement or piece of info on a locked topic, without opening it all up again (and without having to change it to moderated, etc). But this case was all made before and Mark made his decision, so I’m not going to make the case all over again.

On Oct 31, 2021, at 2:23 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Not sure what you’re saying. The topic IS “existing” once it’s created, n’est ce pas? So what’s the difference, functionally? You’ve got a locked topic (even if there’s only a single message in it) and you don’t want certain mods to post to it because of their annoying habits (or whatever). I need the functionality of allowing mods to post to locked topics. So make your case to Mark  for the ability to disable that. :-)

On Oct 31, 2021, at 2:11 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 03:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Without a mod's ability to post to a lock topic, any time you wanted to lock a topic, assuming you wanted to announce that it was locked - and I usually do, you had to post the announcement FIRST, and then rush to lock it before anybody posted to it. You can now lock it and then announce that it's locked.
Ah, you're talking about sequential posts to an existing topic. I remember some discussion along those lines. For creating new topics locking with a hashtag seems a lot simpler.

I wish I didn't have so many Moderators. Unfortunately, I'm kinda stuck with it. We have a lot of contributors to the group (a Secretary who uploads meeting minutes, a Membership Coordinator who maintains backup Excel files, etc). I want them to be able to [mainly] use the file repository without giving that permission to everybody, and the only way I can do that is to make them all Mods.

Regards,
Bruce