moderated Re: Groups.io down for maintenance -- all work is lost! #bug

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 6:56 AM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I just edited a reply, clicked "Send", and got a message back on my screen saying that Groups.io is temporarily down for maintenance and should be back by 1am Pacific time (which is either 5+ hours ago, or I need to wait another 18 hours until tomorrow).

Sorry about that. What happened was that a large group was sent an email, which is not abnormal. But for some reason, this particular list has a significant percentage of members who run a firewall that automatically clicks all the links in the message. These firewalls receive the message at the same time and then hammer our servers, all at the same time. Somewhat similar to what's called a 'thundering herd' problem in computer science. This tripsĀ a failsafe I have and causes our servers to automatically reboot. You got caught in the 10 seconds or so when this happened. Addressing this has been on my TODO list, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Also, I just fixed the error message.

(the cats are still there but you have to click on a link to see them)