moderated Re: What does "Banned Domains" actually mean or do? #misc

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 07:58 AM, Andy wrote:
I think I have convinced myself that "Banned Domains" does nothing.
It definitely does *something*. Whether all of what it does is perfect I have no idea. I do know that I banned the domain of a user I never wanted to see again in my group. and when he tried to join my group, he received a message "You can't join this group from that domain" (not exact words, I don't remember exactly). I know because he contacted me after that to complain, saying he wanted to join the group. (Long story, he's now back in and a newly valued member, has cleaned up his act etc.) Anyway, I remember being upset by the fact that he found out he was banned, because I had banned his domain. When you just ban an individual email address, they're not explicitly informed of the banning (unless your group has an active "banned" message, which mine doesn't). The fact that they're not informed has allowed me to test all kinds of technical scenarios by temporarily banning members (and then unbanning them). Banning a domain acts totally differently. It definitely does something.