moderated Re: Evaluating turning on DMARC #update

Hi Shal,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:51 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

This will work for those posters/recipients subject to DMARC rewriting,
Digests, Summaries, and notices. But are those major contributors to the
problem? GMF had a spate of reports a while ago of people mystified by
misdirected group messages, and that seemed to revolve predominantly
around AOL. Is that where this is aimed?

Yes, exactly. The spammer(s) uses AOL, Hotmail and Outlook accounts, all of which we re-write the From lines.

Normal group messages, where the header From has the posting member's
domain not Groups.io's, will fail DMARC regardless of Groups.io's
settings. Unless I've missed something. That's the case where we're
Waiting for Godot. Er, I mean ARC.

My understanding is that ARC is not yet adopted in any meaningful way.

The only concern that comes to mind is that this could be another step
down a path that leads to rewriting all From headers. I'd really rather
not see that outcome.

Agreed, I don't want that either.