moderated Re: Evaluating turning on DMARC #update

Konstantin Ryabitsev

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:50:59PM -0700, Shal Farley wrote:
Normal group messages, where the header From has the posting member's domain
not Groups.io's, will fail DMARC regardless of Groups.io's settings. Unless
I've missed something. That's the case where we're Waiting for Godot. Er, I
mean ARC.
For the record, it would be easy for groups.io to provide an option to be
DMARC-compliant, at least for DKIM-signed messages:

- don't modify signed headers (Subject, for example)
- don't modify the message body (e.g. don't append "Groups.io Links")

That's all it takes.

If you have any specific objections to turning on DMARC, please let me
know.
The only concern that comes to mind is that this could be another step down
a path that leads to rewriting all From headers. I'd really rather not see
that outcome.
Setting a DMARC record for groups.io won't impact these messages anyway.

-K