moderated Count mod-edited approval as an approved message #suggestion

I have a new group member whose first message was approved, but only after some editing by me (in conjunction with offlist consultation with her, to improve clarity). We have NMM set to 3. I was about to unmoderate her this morning when I noticed that she still has her NMM requirement set to 3, as if she'd never had a message approved. Is that because her first message, although approved, was first edited by a moderator? Does mod-edited approval not count as approval? This feels slightly "off." I think approval should count as approval, no matter what. Could this be unintended and a bug?