moderated Re: Files & Photos naming convention results in bad filenames in the export zipfile #suggestion #bug

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 12:51 PM Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

Both the Files and the Photos section allow one to enter any character pretty-much in the folder, album, or file names.

If one does a Files or Photos export however, those special and non-acceptable (at least for Windows) characters are carried over when the folder/album+files/photos structure is replicated into a regular folder+files structure, and that causes problems when one tries to extract the zipfile contents.

I have gone through and for any file in the export process that contains a name generated by a user (like a photo, file, database, wiki page, etc), we now convert the following characters to '_':

  < (less than)
  > (greater than)
  : (colon - sometimes works, but is actually NTFS Alternate Data Streams)
  " (double quote)
  / (forward slash)
  \ (backslash)
  | (vertical bar or pipe)