moderated Re: renaming a link should leave a pointer from the old name #suggestion

Glenn Glazer

On 08/10/2021 14:09, Andy wrote:
Glenn, I don't claim to know anything about if/how this works.  But I wonder about something.

What happens after this sequence of events:

1)  Member A uploads MyFile1.zip to the Files section.
2)  Moderator moves MyFile1.zip to a new folder, or renames it.
3)  Member A uploads a new (different) MyFile1.zip to the Files section.

So when other members come along and try to download MyFile1.zip, how do you decide which one to serve up as a download?

Andy

This is an "application level behavior" so it just depends on how Mark implements it. There are two standard approaches

1) If there is a redirect in place, the upload fails with a message saying MyFile1.zip already exists. This is assumes there is a mechanism to delete a redirect if one really wants to.
2) Allow uploads to "overwrite" redirects.

2) has the potential of really confusing people ("I asked for X but got Y named X") in our context, so I would prefer 1).

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare