moderated Re: Menu problem with older computers #bug

Steve Hayes

On 23 Jul 2021 at 10:18, Christos G. Psarras wrote:

Maybe update FF to the latest XP-supported version, 52.9.0 ESR?  I have that,
along with Chrome 49.0.2623.112 & Opera 36.0.2130.80 in my XP test partition
and they all work fine.
Unfortunately the later versions of Firefox don't work too well on my
computer -- particularly the ones where they introduced "pockets". They are
memory hogs (bloatware), and spend inordinate amounts of time swapping to
disk. One problem with older computers is that extra memory boards are not so
easy to come by.

Out of curiosity, did you add recently or already had a Script blocker
add-on?  If so, could it be it's the one misbehaving and causing this?
As I said in another message, I use NoScript -- mainly to prevent news sites
from automatically playing videos -- but it is set to enable everything for
the groups.io site, which is set as "trusted".

1. Go to / create a bookmark to https://groups.io/groups , or click on the
"Groups.io" link on the upper left of the screen, and in there, any pending
messages will show under the ApprovalsNeeded column as a link and you can go
to them this way.
Thanks, that sounds like a useful workaround.

I can work-around the Your Groups thing by just entering the group URL
directly into the browser, to the browser, and I suppose I could create a
local HTML page with all the relevant addresses, including the admin ones,
which would effectively be my own local menu for groups.io, but it would be
nice if it could be fixed in case there are other users with older computers.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@dunelm.org.uk