moderated Re: New Locked Topic member notice #update

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:11 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
- Should the Active locked topic member notice be returned when someone emails a locked topic?
Anyone can attempt to send a message to a topic that was locked days or months or years ago. If the active member notice has changed in the interim, it most likely bears no relationship at all as to why these older topics were locked (if it still did, why would you change it?).

So I suggest no....unless you can somehow "save" the associated member notice with the topic.

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is automatically locked based on the group's `Automatically lock topics older than N days` setting?
Unless you want to create a second "type" of Member Notice for this purpose, I suggest no.

I expire topics after 60 days for no other reason than I don't want people replying to something many years old after having accidentally inverted the sort order of the archive.

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is automatically locked based on a hashtag's locking a topic after a specific duration?
Again, I suggest that topics locked based on a "timeout" of any kind calls for a separate member notice...if you want to go there at all.

- Should the Active locked topic member notice be sent when a topic is started with a hashtag that has the `Locked` checkbox checked? Or possibly a selector to pick which locked topic notice to send?
I don't see the advantage of this. If you want to explain why the topic is locked with the first message, just say why in the message.

Generally, I'd prefer that we stop while we're still on relatively solid ground.

My $0.02,
Bruce