moderated Re: Beta Group Guidelines #meta

Glenn Glazer

On 05/31/2021 21:21, KWKloeber via groups.io wrote:

Adding to list below:

- It likely would be helpful to cut down on unnecessary chafe in replies by avoiding reminding us that "it's Mark's business" or that  "Mark can implement a #Suggestion (or not) as he sees fit," or that "Mark can decide whether a #Suggestion will benefit enough members," and so on and so forth.
It's intuitively obvious that Mark can do whatever he wants - we neither need to be reminded nor do we need to remind others.

I have most often seen this as a response to criticism. If we cut down on that, I think much of this sort of comment will be unnecessary.

Here is a prior msg to Mark (just copied verbatim so forgive my not fine-tuning it) when we had been discussing the "new" beta group back in Jan 2020.  Could we use this as a jumping-off point for interested-others to add to and suggest guidelines to Mark he could fine tune to whatever will help him the most?

Will you be publishing guidelines - specifically referring to what is most helpful to you and want to see added (or refrained from) re: discussion of a #suggestion.  Some thoughts if you decide to go that route:

- "I agree" and "me too" be forever banned (unless Beta is intended to be a popularity poll.)  "LIKE" works.

Like does not work in email in either direction: I cannot like a post by email and I do not see likes in my email. I for one, almost never use the web interface and I do not believe I am unique in this.

- "No one will use that" -  no one has enough foresight to definitively predict what the average user (or non-average) will or will -

- "That would cause a mess" or "cause more confusion than now" or "can't be implemented"  or ..... similar type replies.

- For the most part "opinions" have little value and add to unnecessary chaff on Beta.  Everyone has one and every one (just as everyone) is as valid as another.

- "Fact-based" -  discussions/additions/clarifications that are fact-based and add to understanding or clarification (or forbid improvement) of someone else's suggestion, not leading to needing to defend one's opinions (rather than presenting or clarifying facts,) which adds tons of chaff.

The rest of these seem good.

Best,

Glenn

--