locked Re: announce on topic lock #suggestion

Chris Jones

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 03:52 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
The use case is that we locked a thread that was getting contentious and someone had composed a long and thoughtful response only to find their effort had been wasted. If they had known of the lock a priori, they wouldn't have invested the time in the response.
I am not going to argue against your suggestion of an optional notification that a topic has been locked, but I will point out that doing so does not guarantee that no - one will find out just too late that a topic to which they were composing a message has been locked.

In the cited case of a topic that was becoming contentious would it not be better to Moderate Topic from the More menu? That provides a means of stopping contentious posts appearing without stopping the acceptable ones. It also requires no change to existing group capabilities.

Chris