locked Re: announce on topic lock #suggestion

Right. I think that in any case, groups with auto-lock should disallow the notice (if made optional per group), because new grouo owners may not realize the ramifications of setting both. And if not made optional per group, the notices should not be sent for auto-locked topics at all.

And although this is veering somewhat OT, allowing mods to post to locked topics would would greatly alleviate this problem. You could lock a topic and afterwards, send the announcement by hand. There would be no problems with locking old topics or with repeated announcements for unlocked, posted-to, and relooked topics.

On May 24, 2021, at 9:25 AM, Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:

On 05/24/2021 08:44, J_Catlady wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 08:39 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I'm more meh about optional per topic
Do you ever lock very old topics, or is your group set to do that automatically? If you do that by hand, think about whether you really want everybody to receive an email for the locking of some very old topic. Also, I will sometimes lock a topic, then unlock it to post something in it, then lock it again. (This would be unnecessary if mods were allowed to post to locked topics, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.) In that case, if you ever do that (or if mods of other groups ever do that), is it really desirable to have the multiple locking-announcement emails sent to everyone? I think not. I would not use the feature unless it's made optional per topic, so for me, it would be useless otherwise.

No, I never do those things which is part of why I'm meh: it seems like overengineering an edge case. As is usual in these discussions it's not clear to anyone (except Mark) how many groups actually exercise a particular functionality, so it's hard to say whether more groups are like yours (and need that) or like mine (and find it an unnecessary complication).

To be clear, I'm not opposed to what you suggest, I just don't have a need for it.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare