moderated Re: "member message" urgently needs logging #suggestion #fixed

Exactly right! And this has gone on for as long as I’ve been in groups.io and beta - more than six years? That’s how long many of us have been begging for this.

 In the beginning, it was promised by Mark as part of the “upcoming notification overhaul.’ And so when anyone else asked for it, for years I’d tell them it was coming, and in the meantime to use bcc. But since then, nothing but  radio silence.

The bcc workaround is subject to human error. “Did I just forget to bcc myself?” “How can I find out what really happened and whether the message was sung at all? Check the log? Oh, wait, there’s never a log of this.”

If is incredibly frustrating, and the more so due to how long this lack  has existed.

And please, don’t anyone suggest the workaround of messaging the member to ask whether they got the message.:-) Even doing so nit through groups.io is not going to work. Mods don’t want to have to PM a member to ask things like. “Excuse me, but did you happen to get my message this morning telling yoj yourd now on moderation?”

On May 10, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Dan Tucker - FireTuck <antiquetuck@...> wrote:

I can’t say that I disagree with J_ on this one. I’ve used the BCC: method for lots of things also but there’s NOTHING like having a first-hand, built-in logging for all messages. (period)

Workarounds – we all have them – are JUST THAT. They’re individualized solutions to what is usually a common problem. Since many are duplicated or redundant, it’s proven by fact that they’re justified. If “everybody does it” then it just seems right that nobody should have to do it – it should be done at the developer level.

Just sayin’

Dan Tucker, Groups.io  AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>
Date: Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:27 AM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] "member message" urgently needs logging #suggestion

And preferably, the text of the message should also be recorded/preserved, as with the text for a rejected message, invitations, etc.

 This has become a very severe lack at this point.

On May 10, 2021, at 12:22 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Right, That’s always the answer to this (badly needed) suggestion. And when the bcc doesn’t come thru, you’re stuck wondering whether the bcc failed (you forgot to click the box?) or the message didn’t go thru at all. There absolutely, positively needs to be a record somewhere that the message happened, independent of the bcc.

On May 10, 2021, at 12:19 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 01:53 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

There is absolutely no record of messages to members by mods

There's always a record if you Bcc: yourself.  That's what I do, so really have no need for it to be logged.