moderated Re: formatting an indented line issue [no can do] #bug

KWKloeber

David

It's not a #bug per se

** (apparently the snafu is that) MCE let's you designate what a <CR> enters.  /div/, /p, /blockquote, or /pre.
(again apparently) Mark chose /div.   “His site, his choice.”

-ken

**Caveat: I have no clue about coding, this is just from my observations/troubleshooting.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 01:59 PM, David Bryant wrote:
Well, I usually don't use indenting if I'm not creating a list. But I do see what's going on. I'll use some text you entered, KW, to demonstrate.

1) this is a test of the emergency broadcast system.

2) this line was indented line.

3) this line wants to be non-indented, but cannot be formatted as such (no matter what, it hangs onto the pp above it.)

4) this line wants to be indented twice, but cannot be formatted separately from the two lines above (no matter what, it too, hangs onto the pp above it.)

The problem occurs if one starts indenting from the top of this set of lines, and there are no intervening empty lines.

1) this is a test of the emergency broadcast system.
2) this line was indented line.
3) this line wants to be non-indented, but cannot be formatted as such (no matter what, it hangs onto the pp above it.)
4) this line wants to be indented twice, but cannot be formatted separately from the two lines above (no matter what, it too, hangs onto the pp above it.)

What I observe here is that all three lines (2, 3, & 4) end up being formatted as a single <div> in the HTML coding. Since indentation is created by a style= attribute in the <div> tag, lines 2, 3, and 4 are "stuck" to each other, and move left and right as a single block.

This is another example. I started with the same four lines, but this time I indented line 4, then line 3, then line 2. I ended up with three separate <div> tags, and each line can now be moved independently of the others.

1) this is a test of the emergency broadcast system.
2) this line was indented line.
3) this line wants to be non-indented, but cannot be formatted as such (no matter what, it hangs onto the pp above it.)
4) this line wants to be indented twice, but cannot be formatted separately from the two lines above (no matter what, it too, hangs onto the pp above it.)

KW says the editor works correctly at the TinyMCE web site, probably because the <br /> tags aren't used in the updated version (just a guess).
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas