moderated Re: #suggestion feature request to strip out duplicate attachments in replies #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 04:55 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Images and attachments already occupy separate storage from the body text of the message.

Shal -- I'm skeptical that this is actually true. In a group export, all attachments are BASE64 encoded and included as part of the messages.mbox file. They may reside in separate MIME parts within each message but that's all.*

If so, implementation of this kind of functionality would likely require a complete rework of the groups.io message base (with, as Mark said, significant risk of breaking something else).

Regards,
Bruce

*How attachments are indexed so as to provide such functionality as the Emailed Photos folder is unclear to me.