moderated Re: #suggestion feature request to strip out duplicate attachments in replies #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 07:55 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
I'd like to see something that would strip out pictures after the
initial one was posted as long as it had the same exact file size. The
same might be possible for file attachments.
As a friendly amendment, may I suggest restricting this function to previous messages within the same topic?

This would seem to satisfy your use case without searching the entire message base.

I think it would be very rare that a subsequent different picture or
file posted in a reply would be the same file size.
If restricted to a single topic, a bytewise comparison with previous attachments may be possible. Failing that, I'd prefer to apply a hashing function of some kind and not rely solely on file size for dupe detection.

Regards,
Bruce