Re: better member list filtering #suggestion

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 09:59 AM, Louie S wrote:
I was able to accomplish this by sorting on the Delivery then page through the list ...
When I need to do something like this, I find it's easier to work with a local copy of the member list.

-- From Admin --> Members, click the "Download" button. This opens a membership list in .csv format.

-- Depending on how your browser is configured, this may start a "Download File" dialog, or open a display of a text file.

-- I get a text file (Firefox). So I have to copy and paste the displayed text file into a text editor ("Kate", on my system), then save it on disk.

-- I then open the .csv file with Libreoffice (if you use Windows, Excel will do the job). Once I have the membership list loaded in a spreadsheet program, all sorts of stuff is possible, and fairly easy to do. Sorting is a snap. If you know a little bit of Visual Basic (or some equivalent language), you can even write short programs to massage the data in just about any conceivable way.

-- If I need to send a message to hundreds of members at once, I use my email client and create a special mailing list. I use KMail, but this can be done with Outlook, or Thunderbird, or Evolution ... just about any full-featured email client can import a list of email addresses (and associated data) in .csv format.

-- So that's it. Download list, extract sub-list, use local email client to blast out a couple of hundred notices or whatever.

-- One caution. You may end up being blacklisted by your email service provider if you send a message with more than 100 CCs or BCCs. This has happened to me a couple of times, and it's no fun. You're better off sending messages addressed to individual members. You won't be identified as a spammer if you avoid the CC and BCC fields.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas