moderated Re: Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

Mike Hanauer

Not usually the case. I change the subject to make it clearer, especially later on for searches. I still want to be able to maintain and continue the thread as a needed choice.

Consider Better, not Bigger. So many advantages. Just ask. USA adds a Chicago to our overpop each year.
"Still more population growth is not our way to a healthy community, a healthy planet, OR enjoyable cycling."

    ~Mike

On Thursday, March 4, 2021, 03:07:27 PM EST, ro-esp <ro-esp@...> wrote:

On Tue, Mar  2, 2021 at 09:38 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:

> I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an
> original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus
> the old topic), it starts a new thread.

I think I agree with John here. If you change the subject, you SHOULD create a new thread by doing so.
Usually you change it because the original subjectline was too vague (e.g. "I have a question"), or because the discussion has err.. "gone off on a tangent"(?), that is the discussion is about something other than the original topic

> I wonder if that could be changed. If I understand the mechanism, perhaps via
> message id rather than subject.

If you want to maintain the threading, the traditional way is by changing the original subject ( "I have a question" ) to the new one ("topic at hand")  like this:

Topic at hand (was: I have a question)

Of course,  replies to older posts would still have the old subject

                                  groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo