moderated Re: Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

ro-esp

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 09:38 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:

I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an
original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus
the old topic), it starts a new thread.
I think I agree with John here. If you change the subject, you SHOULD create a new thread by doing so.
Usually you change it because the original subjectline was too vague (e.g. "I have a question"), or because the discussion has err.. "gone off on a tangent"(?), that is the discussion is about something other than the original topic

I wonder if that could be changed. If I understand the mechanism, perhaps via
message id rather than subject.
If you want to maintain the threading, the traditional way is by changing the original subject ( "I have a question" ) to the new one ("topic at hand") like this:

Topic at hand (was: I have a question)

Of course, replies to older posts would still have the old subject

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo