moderated Re: Allow images in Member Notices #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 05:40 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
What could help reduce the chance of it happening is using group storage in this case, a link from your Files (that's what I did with our groups so this way the graphics could be reused in the wiki -or elsewhere- without the "AddNew" duplication), or, if no Files, sent an email to the group with the graphic, lock the topic, then use the URL groups.io is using for that file, as that won't/shouldn't change since emails went out with it.
Christos -- Using anything on the groups.io site is problematic. To be retrievable even by webmail, the image URL must be visible to the world.

1) Images in the group's Photos section don't have stable URLs, so you can't really use that.
2) If the image was stored in the Files area, the recipient would still have to logged in to gain access to it.
3) Non-members cannot access group content at all, so the image couldn't be used for -- say -- an Invite or Pending Subscription notice.

Still, it would really be nice to be able to include a logo or a screenshot or anything of that nature. In my case, I placed the linked images in a folder on our [separate] public web site. I have to remember why they're there, and be sure not to delete/move/rename them. Even that doesn't work if the person reading the received email doesn't happen to be connected to the internet at the time.

For all these reasons I'd like to be able to just embed the image in the outgoing message.

Regards,
Bruce