moderated Re: Disallow concurrent "special notices" and "following only" #suggestion #bug

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 07:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

What's still missing is that Auto-Follow Replies would be more useful (and intuitive) if made subservient to Following Only. The direction that's not a big deal is that checking Auto-Follow Replies without checking FO has no effect (since the person is getting all messages anyway). But the converse is problematic: someone who checks FO assumes, as in some other platforms, that they will automatically follow their own replies. They don't understand that they also need to separately check Auto-Follow Replies. I've had several members fall into this trap. They clearly wanted to follow their own messages/topics and checked FO alone. I had to explain that they wouldn't get their messages/topics that way. After my announcement, they went in and checked Auto-Follow Replies.

I've now made the following changes to the edit subscription and group member pages:

  • Under Advanced Preferences, Auto Follow Replies has been moved under Following Only.
  • When Following Only is not checked, both First Message Also and Auto Follow Replies are now disabled and unchecked.
  • When Following Only is checked, Auto Follow Replies is now automatically checked.