moderated Re: Disallow concurrent "special notices" and "following only" #suggestion #bug

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 08:36 AM, Duane wrote:
Maybe we just comprehend differently, but that bit of text is a full explanation to me.
It's a full explanation if you (a) fully understand what "email delivery setting" means and (b) didn't set your email delivery setting several months ago. Even if you understand those two, it feels psychologically - even to me, even a few days ago! - that changing to Following Only is going to increase your deliveries from No Email to the "email from the topics I'm following." It feels psychologicially (and even intellectually) like an increase. "I'm going to increase from No Email to getting the ones I'm following." It (the UI) is really in radical need of a fix and I hope this doesn't get swept under the rug.

I fear that no matter what, if anything, is done, there will still be people that don't read the information presented, same as with guidelines or welcome messages.
That can't happen if the system disallows the bad combinations. Your idea to completely disable adv prefs if no email or special notices only is set would be part of the equation. The other part would be doing the converse. Just make it so they can't exist simultaneously, and make the text much clearer so that it explains to the user that's what will happen when they change either side.

I like Christos's original plan as set forth here. Yours is good too, and there are undoubtedly others. I'm not intending to make any particular suggestions with my message this morning beyond what has already been suggested. I am just making the point that this is in great need of a fix.