moderated Re: "Fake subject tags" are allowed in the subject line #bug

Samuel Murrayy

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 05:51 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
As to why do all this?  Spamming maybe?  Or could some enterprising mal-admin use this spoofing trick in some mal-capacity? I don't know but common-sense has proven time and time again that you never know what people will come up with.

Okay, so you're trying to find a way to prevent abuse.  Then perhaps you should post a #suggestion that a user can enable an option in his settings called e.g. "Convert clashing subject line tags" which would cause Groups.io to compare any bracketed text of incoming messages' subject lines against the subject line tags of the groups that that member is currently a member of, and if there is a match, it changes the tag from e.g. [beta] to {beta}.  It must be possible for users to disable this check (in case they get too many false positives).  I suspect adding such a feature would be considered overkill, though.

Samuel