moderated Re: Changing email address security issue #misc

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 10:52 PM, Dave Sergeant wrote:
There is no way for anyone, including me, to ever get your Groups.io
password.
'No way ever' is true until it is proven not to be.
When I said that an unscrupulous owner who changes a member's email address to one of their own "also has their password," I meant that they essentially have it by virtue of being immediately able to set or change it via the login link. The email address *is* the account, in a sense. Besides uniquely identifying the account to groups.io, anyone who controls the email address also controls the account.