moderated Re: Changing email address security issue #misc

Dave Sergeant

On 3 Feb 2021 at 16:02, Mark Fletcher wrote:

There is no way for anyone, including me, to ever get your Groups.io
password.
'No way ever' is true until it is proven not to be.

https://grahamcluley.com/poor-password-security-mensa/

I was one of two people mentioned there who had their personal details
exposed in their member's forum. My password, partially obliterated by
the hacker but sufficient of it shown that it was clear he knew the
lot, had been obtained from their database by methods not yet known,
possibly a brute force attack. The other person had that password used
to log into his GMail account that sadly used the same one.

Hopefully Groups.io security is a lot better than the inadequate one
now exposed at Mensa, but it shows that 'never happens' certainly
sometimes does.

Dave

http://davesergeant.com