moderated Re: Changing email address security issue #misc

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 12:50 PM, D R Stinson wrote:
I explained how he can change his email address, but it didn't work for him. We have been unable to ascertain why. I should add that he wants to change his email for all his groups.io memberships, as his old email is going away.

At this point I don't know what the problem is.
It may be that the problem lies in the wording on the Change Email page. Once you click on it, you're told "are you sure you want to change  your email address - you must reconfirm your account" but does not say what "reconfirm your account" means. Nothing at all about checking email for a confirmation message, etc. And we know those confirmation messages often go into outer space anyway (or used to). Instead of continuing to support a major security breach, groups.io could simply streamline and clarify the process for users who want to change their email addresses. It is not rocket science, after all, or shouldn't be, even for unsophisticated users.