moderated Re: Disallow concurrent "special notices" and "following only" #suggestion #bug

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 08:17 AM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
they can unwittingly become a "NoEmail" user by selecting FO but no suboption (since the current defaults are unchecked); they'll never receive anything except special notices, even if they send-in a new topic message themselves.
Yes and I think I mentioned that. In any case, even if I haven't mentioned this problem in beta, I've already issued an explicit warning to my group members because I've seen some people do exactly that. I used the phrase "unlike in some other forums," because in some venues, for example FB, if you reply to a thread you automatically follow it. That's not the case in groups.io so it needs to be made explicit. Immediately after I issued the warning in my group, a few people immediately went in and added "auto-follow replies" to their settings, showing that they had misunderstood and made the assumption that this was like other platforms, where replying automatically means following. This warning of course applies to all members, not just people who only use email (and whom you have termed "email only," even though there is currently no technical definition or category for that).