moderated Re: Two issues in joining a group #bug

Sandi D <sandi.asgtechie@...>

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 06:40 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
Malcolm Austen:
...That seems to say that if person A is already a member of one group (and therefore has an account) then person B (a baddie) can, by spoofing the sending address, subscribe person A to arbitrary numbers of other groups.

We had a similar scenario last week, with person B subscribing person A to our group.

Both "goodies". Person A, forwarded a privately sent email on how to join from our group Home page to Person B. Person B thought she needed to enter Person A's name and email address instead of her own. Person A was then approved by the Co-Owner because the Co-Owner had sent the private email to Person A. So Person A became a member without any action on her part to join and Person B was confused as to why she couldn't access the group!

In the end, I left Person A as a member (I changed her setting to Special Notice Only) and emailed her privately asking her if she wanted to be removed. Have heard nothing back from her.

I also sent a direct group invite to Person B and another private email detailing the situation and what she needed to do in order to join, hopefully this time made easier by the direct invite.

Then had to email the Co-Owner (she is not GIO savvy, but she is in control of who she invites and who is accepted) about what happened, why it happened and how I was resolving it.

Trying to explain this to all parties concerned about took up a lot of time and a flurry of emails over 2 days.

--
Sandi Dickenson