moderated Re: Ability to add hashtags in replies #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Currently, if you change the subject in a reply, to add an additional hashtag, that hashtag is just ignored. What do you all think about changing that, so that replies to topics can add hashtags?
Hashtags are a function of the topic, not a message. Is the intent that adding a hashtag to a subject line in a reply would apply only to that one message (my preference)? Or would that automatically propagate to all the other messages in the topic?

If the former, wouldn't that create a discrepancy between the emailed messages and what appears in the message archive? If the latter, what are the effects on the properties of messages previously posted in that topic (such as reply-to options, moderation, topic duration, and so on)?

To mix a metaphor, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this can of worms. Right now it just seems like asking for a slew of unintended, new "features." I have seen people reply to threads that are years old; and I can just see someone deciding to retroactively add a hashtag -- perhaps years from now -- with the wrong Topic Duration, causing large portions of the message archive to disappear.

Regards,
Bruce