moderated Re: Ability to add hashtags in replies #suggestion

Hi,

I think some groups might appreciate this. Consider:

A member posts a new message that was traditionally associated with a hashtag. Somehow, the member has forgotten to attach a hashtag. Someone else replies (perhaps an owner) and tries to add the needed hashtag without going to the web archive and changing it.

One concern is how this will handle topic splits. As pointed out by a moderator of a list I’m a part of, when you change subject lines, topics are split, and I believe this is also the case when hashtags are introduced by members in the middle of a topic. If I understand this proposal correctly, topics won’t be split even if hashtags are introduced when replying. Am I right on this?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2021 9:25 AM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: [beta] Ability to add hashtags in replies #suggestion

Hi All,

Currently, if you change the subject in a reply, to add an additional hashtag, that hashtag is just ignored. What do you all think about changing that, so that replies to topics can add hashtags?

I'm asking because in one particular case for me, it'd make things easier. As Andy has noted, I have not been keeping up with adding the #done hashtag to #suggestion topics where I've implemented the suggestion. It would be convenient if, when I reply indicating I've implemented the suggestion, that I could add the #done hashtag, instead of having to go to the website and editing the topic.

Even though it'd make things easier in this instance, I'm not sure it's a good idea overall, hence this email. Do people have strong feelings about this? I'm not particularly interested in adding a group toggle for this.

Thanks,
Mark

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.