moderated Re: Include info blurb & link to the upon account creation #suggestion

I know all about the sinking yahoo groups and the groups.io lifeboats. It was practically the only subject of conversation here for months. I just meant that you did have other choices.

On Jan 25, 2021, at 6:11 AM, txercoupemuseum.org <ercoguru@...> wrote:

Sorry, perhaps poor choice of words.  Nothing sinister intended,

The groups I now own were moved to Yahoo in early 2002 from a private server.  Yahoo served our purposes just fine until they decided to terminate services essential to our normal operations.  This impending self-destruction thereby forced many groups utilizing Yahoo hosting to find another “home” that, given the option, would have much preferred to continue as before.

At the time, generally available information strongly suggested Groups.io the best available option.  During the week it took me to decide to bring over my groups, that process was no longer free.

Not only did no one hold a gun to my head to move my groups here, but  I personally “fronted” the funds necessary for a migration I considered essential to said groups survival.  So long as we’re “grandfathered” as a privileged free group, we’re good (perhaps not forever  ;<)

Best!

WRB

—

On Jan 24, 2021, at 10:25 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

<snip>

What “forced migration”?

On Jan 24, 2021, at 7:58 PM, txercoupemuseum.org <ercoguru@...> wrote:

Hi Christos,

<snip>

Lengthy discussions as to what is or is not possible on Groups.io since our forced migration has been extremely limited and carried on “off list”.  On our forums this would be considered by this owner as “off topic” and I don’t believe such subscriber involvement should be encouraged.

<snip>

Best!

WRB

—

On Jan 24, 2021, at 2:11 PM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

J brought up a good point in the sub settings topic:

> No group members I know of read the manual or even know that it exists.

This may have fallen through the cracks ever since the Help Center was created, but why not include some info blurb and the links to the manuals (help center landing page) in the account confirmation message?  Or even better, send a separate Welcome message (once) to the user with that info & link after the account gets confirmed?  And possibly also post it on the landing page (with the profile edit blurb and links) where the new user is landed when they click the new-account confirmation link, or the first time they manually log-in?

Doing both ensures all types of new GIO account users are served, done manually by the user or through DirectAdded / Invite.

It should help with the visibility issue.  (said message could also possibly include any other basic-basic-info-to-the-average-user we may want to also include)

For the existing user base, I guess a one-time mass emailing is out of the question, but it could be setup as the same "show it just once" onscreen note with link when users log-in or first time they visit (since the note gets instituted); or alternatively set it up as a persisting-but-timed note with the "x" option to dismiss it, in which case it won't show again.

Cheers,
Christos