moderated Re: Include info blurb & link to the upon account creation #suggestion

txercoupemuseum.org

Hi Christos,

I cannot think of a more sure way to make owners and moderators of “simple” groups that focus on limited subjects tear their hair out than to do this.  If an owner or moderator wants to make a full time job (unpaid) of managing their group(s), this would immediately and irreversibly do that!

My people (and I) could care less about most of the almost infinite complications interminably discussed on GMF, and I have no intention whatsoever of letting that genie out of the bottle.  To my knowledge, nothing would keep them from joining [beta].

We are an aircraft technical group, not a “group management” group.  Anyone who wants to can join or quit and contribute or not as they see fit.  Over twenty years, only one person has been thrown out.

Lengthy discussions as to what is or is not possible on Groups.io since our forced migration has been extremely limited and carried on “off list”.  On our forums this would be considered by this owner as “off topic” and I don’t believe such subscriber involvement should be encouraged.

That said, every group has its own reasons to exist.  I fully understand that one size DOES NOT “fit all”.  But I would strenuously object if notification to “...all types of new GIO account users…” were automatically incorporated as it would raise issues in my groups I would much prefer remain “sleeping dogs”.

Best!

WRB

—

On Jan 24, 2021, at 2:11 PM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

J brought up a good point in the sub settings topic:

> No group members I know of read the manual or even know that it exists.

This may have fallen through the cracks ever since the Help Center was created, but why not include some info blurb and the links to the manuals (help center landing page) in the account confirmation message?  Or even better, send a separate Welcome message (once) to the user with that info & link after the account gets confirmed?  And possibly also post it on the landing page (with the profile edit blurb and links) where the new user is landed when they click the new-account confirmation link, or the first time they manually log-in?

Doing both ensures all types of new GIO account users are served, done manually by the user or through DirectAdded / Invite.

It should help with the visibility issue.  (said message could also possibly include any other basic-basic-info-to-the-average-user we may want to also include)

For the existing user base, I guess a one-time mass emailing is out of the question, but it could be setup as the same "show it just once" onscreen note with link when users log-in or first time they visit (since the note gets instituted); or alternatively set it up as a persisting-but-timed note with the "x" option to dismiss it, in which case it won't show again.

Cheers,
Christos
_._,_._,_