moderated Re: Include info blurb & link to the upon account creation #suggestion

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 01:27 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
send a separate Welcome message (once)
I think a second welcome message separate from one the group they're joining sends out just looks like more spam to new users. But groups could include links to the help page in their own welcome messages. I will amend ours to include that. That said, people tend to ignore welcome messages; they even ignore the group guidelines when they get them. It's like "bla bla bla" with not even a "do you agree to this" click. The vast majority of my group members don't read the guidelines, even though we say right at the top stuff like "please read, our guidelines are stricter than in many other groups, failure to abide by them might result in removal." It's all like that cartoon about the dog Ginger. What we say to dogs: "Stay out of the trash, Ginger! Ginger, I told you a million times, stay out of the trash!" What they hear: "Bla bla, Ginger! Ginger, bla bla!"

Yes, the help pages are great. But they have their place. And their place is not to prevent mishaps or bad combinations of settings that can and should be prevented by the UI.

I'm not arguing. I'm just explaining why I am right.