moderated Re: #bug First attachment doesn't show up in new topic #bug

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
I just tried an 11.97 megabyte file and, while it took a bit of time to show up in the big selection box it finally did.
An observation that might well provide a clue about the problem. I suspect that seeing this effect depends on two components: (a) the file size, and (b) the individual user's internet upload speed.

Unless I am much mistaken everything typed in a composition window is sent to Groups.io in real time, and what the sender sees is what has arrived at Groups.io, so that on completion all Groups.io has to do is act on the "reply" click. Now if something that is "typed" is a large attachment, Groups.io cannot acknowledge it immediately by announcing under the comp window, so a large attached file and a slow upload speed (for an undefined value of "slow") may mean that it will take several seconds (or in the worst case tens of seconds) for the attachment to be uploaded so the Groups.io can record its arrival.

Chris