moderated Re: Disallow concurrent "special notices" and "following only" #suggestion #bug

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 01:19 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Having the ability to change the settings for multiple groups on the Your Groups page is very useful and I would not want to lose this. So, if any changes are made, it's more than just the Subscription page and Advanced Preferences layout that needs to be considered.
I wasn't even aware you could do that. Yes, that needs to be dealt with as well. If the feature is left in place, you would have to decide what to do when (a) "special" is selected here when the member was already set to "following", and (b) the user first selects "special" here and later tries to select FO. It would be a matter of which takes precedence. I would suggest that whatever they do last should take preference, and that that should be reflected in the preferences page (or whatever it ends up being called, and I would suggest "email filter and delivery preferencess"). But the preference page should still not allow both simultaneously.

When someone selects "special" from the actions page, it would seem they actively want to cut down on the email they're already receiving, so that should take precedence over "following" if they were already set to that. Conversely, if they actively go in and select "following" from the preferences page, they would seem to be actively trying to make sure they get email from topics they're following, so "following" should take precedence and "special" should be wiped out.

The preference page would (1) still disallow both to be selected from the page itself and (2) if someone already set to "following" selects "special" from the action page, the preference page would have "following" wiped out.

Something along those lines.

I'm not arguing. I'm just explaining why I am right.