moderated Re: Disallow concurrent "special notices" and "following only" #suggestion #bug

Right. Snd there’s another potential problem with this bad combination, one I haven’t tested yet: theoretically, in a group with “disable no email” set, members could get around this using Special Notices plus Following Only and then simply not following any special notices. Logically, that should result in “no email.” I need to test this.

I think Special Notices Only (and I would change the wording to that) should be a setting on the Advanced Preferencrs page along with the other filter (Following Only) and the two should be made incompatible with each other. Special Notices is not an “email delivery method” and besides not belonging with the real delivery options, it creates problems by being there and separated from the preferences page.

On Jan 21, 2021, at 3:04 PM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 05:50 PM, ro-esp wrote:
If people WANT followed threads AND special notices, they should have that option.
But her point is that that's not how it works - if someone is set to Special Notices Only, they get, well, special notices only. If they want more than special notices, they use individual, digest, or summary.

I agree that it makes sense for the Email Delivery setting to determine the available options for Message Selection and Replies under advanced settings. And since these settings all work in concert to determine message delivery, I'd put them together. (Which leaves Max Attachment Size sort of hanging out by itself.)

I have to admit, I was pretty confused about the relationship between all of those settings and the actual delivery until someone on GMF set me straight.

Pete

I'm not arguing. I'm just explaining why I am right.