ro-esp

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 03:14 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:25 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
Some have argued that "people will leave if charged"; well... let them.
Why should Mark or anyone else have to subsidise a group of people who
expect a service such as Groups.io to be free in perpetuity? What right
have freeloaders (for want of a better term) to more or less demand that
Premium or Enterprise Groups pay for them for ever?
Because apps, Facebook and Googlegroups are free?

We all understand that there is no free lunch, but some people (maybe in the third world - several of my Esperanto-related groups are worldwide) can't afford a subscription, and some will think some groups don't provide enough value (too few members, too little info) yet. Heck, some people have no experience with nor appreciation for list-serves. Put in what one person calls a "paywall" and they may never learn to appreciate what we have here..

Ultimately, it doesn't matter WHO pays, as long as Mark can pay the bills and hire assistants. I would gladly pay a modest fee for the groups I own (or maybe even for an extra feature of choice) and I assume some group-members are willing and able to pay/donate a modest fee for the service.

at 88000 groups, would 10 or 20 euro/dollar a year per group suffice?

groetjes, Ronaldo