Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 09:28 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
For the reasons stated above, I disagree. Even an account charge of $1 would see a 10-fold increase in our current costs.
This might be an instance of the "nuance" I mentioned playing a part. As you should be able to prove your charitable status (albeit IIRC to UK rather than US standards) this might be a way of organising a waiver. At the same time if any of your members are also members of other Groups.io groups I would not expect any waiver to apply across the board so I would hope that they would have to pay as individuals for ongoing access to those.
The majority of our members had never heard of Groups.io before we joined and are also email only so don't connect with the fact that they have a Groups.io account. There are a handful of our members that I know have connections with other groups but the overwhelming majority do not so any potential 'savings' for us because of that approach will be negligible.

Um... well IMHO the ongoing "free" provision of Basic groups (esp the legacy ones) is completely unsustainable, and the proposed charging scheme is a barrier to future growth of new free groups.

I tend to agree and it's why I suggested a small charge for Basic groups and some kind of paid intermediate group between Basic and Premium to provide a smaller step up to the next level.

Andy