Chris Jones

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 02:14 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
For the reasons stated above, I disagree. Even an account charge of $1 would see a 10-fold increase in our current costs.
This might be an instance of the "nuance" I mentioned playing a part. As you should be able to prove your charitable status (albeit IIRC to UK rather than US standards) this might be a way of organising a waiver. At the same time if any of your members are also members of other Groups.io groups I would not expect any waiver to apply across the board so I would hope that they would have to pay as individuals for ongoing access to those.

Unsustainable for us and I suspect many others.

Um... well IMHO the ongoing "free" provision of Basic groups (esp the legacy ones) is completely unsustainable, and the proposed charging scheme is a barrier to future growth of new free groups.

A further potential snag is that if I have read things correctly future group owners would be able to game the system to avoid incremental charges, resulting in Groups.io's projected increased income not materialising at all.

Not really the intended outcome.

Chris