moderated Re: Group Sponsorships #update

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:05 AM Samuel Murrayy <samuelmurray@...> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 07:22 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It will not show up if you are logged out of Groups.io completely.
I tested this, and: it does show up in my test group.  However, when I click it, I'm asked to log in or sign up.

Oh, err, you're right.

What is a reason why people must be registered with Groups.io to use that button?  Why can't non-members sponsor a group?  And is there a specific reason why such people can't sponsor via e.g. PayPal?

They need an account with Groups.io to sponsor a group because the payment mechanism uses existing code that requires a Groups.io account. I don't see that as a serious impediment. If you're interested in a group, you probably have a Groups.io account anyways.

I haven't added Paypal because the last time I looked at Paypal, their API was a mess and it made me feel dumb because I couldn't figure it out. I think their API has changed over the last few years; I will work up the courage to look at it again at some point.