moderated Re: Group Sponsorships #update

Samuel Murrayy

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 07:14 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Fantastic idea. ... It completely avoids all the objections I’ve expressed about member fees, competition, warped forces/space around groups, technical issues like refunds, member fees being disincentives to join groups.io, and a dozen others.
That may be, but my other proposal (about free-member slots) was meant to be separate from this suggestion and in fact both features can complement each other.

This sponsorship button makes it easier to group owners to gather funds without having to set up a financial system (I assume some group owners will active encourage members to click the button) which can be used to pay for premium services, but it does not the problem that the "free-member slots" suggestion was trying to solve, namely to make it possible to have free groups without membership number limits or to have premium groups where owners can limit their costs aggressively without having to turn away potential members who are willing to pay.