toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Fantastic idea. Not sure how I missed it. (Must have been hiding under my rock at the time, aka had the thread muted.:) It completely avoids all the objections I’ve expressed about member fees, competition, warped forces/space around groups, technical issues like refunds, member fees being disincentives to join groups.io, and a dozen others.
On Jan 13, 2021, at 10:05 AM, Mark Fletcher <email@example.com> wrote:
I have just pushed a new group sponsorship feature, based on Shal's and Samuel's proposals. Here are the details:
- In Group Settings, there's a new
Allow Sponsorships checkbox, with the help text
Allow members to sponsor the Groups.io fees for the group.
- If a group allows sponsorships, a new
Sponsor This Group button appears on the group home page.
- Clicking that button brings you to a page to enter an amount (of at least $5.00USD) and a credit card, if we don't have one on file for you. The text is
By sponsoring this group, you are helping pay the Groups.io hosting fees. Any amount you sponsor will be held by Groups.io and used to pay hosting fees as needed. Sponsorships are non-refundable.
- You do not need to be a member to sponsor a group but you do need to have a Groups.io account.
- Free/Basic groups can allow sponsorships. Converting from Free/Basic to a Premium group still requires a credit card to be on file when you do it, but you can delete the credit card after you've upgraded the group, relying only on sponsorship reserves to pay for premium.
- To see how much money is in a group's sponsorship reserve, go to the Billing/Upgrade tab under Admin. It will appear as a line like
There is $23.00 in reserve to pay hosting fees.
- Group sponsorships are logged in the activity log and a moderator notification is sent out as well.
- Any group sponsorships that you have paid are listed in your Account on the Billing page.
- If a fee is paid solely by sponsorship reserves, you will not be sent a payment receipt, but you will still get an email notification.
Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. Thanks to Shal and Samuel for the idea.
Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu