On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 04:49 AM, Samuel Murrayy wrote:
Yes, but the purpose of this thread is not to discuss what the potential downsides of grandfathering is.  Your objection would apply even if my proposal isn't implemented.
Exactly right. Grandfathered groups are actually not even worthy of discussion in what happens going forward because they will start to be a smaller and smaller fraction of the total groups. And in any case, I don't think people would go around looking for free groups. The fee is a pittance and people join groups based on their interests. My objections to allowing people to pay to get into "full" groups is based on assuming that (eventually) the vast majority of groups will be under the new structure. My problems with the payment proposal have nothing to do with grandfathered vs non-grandfathered groups.