Scott,

If only my current members are grandfathered, a $2.50 user paywall
would stop any new members from joining my group. It would die.
Because your group is grandfathered it has an unlimited number of "free slots". Meaning that no one joining it would face a paywall were the OP of this topic implemented.

I don't think Mark would implement something like Drew's proposal (full stop). And certainly not without excluding existing groups from the requirement that new members face a paywall.

Shal