Samuel Murrayy

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 03:25 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
...I would refer to
as "sponsored" subscriptions.
I specifically avoided the word "sponsor" because to me the word "sponsor" implies some kind of benevolent act, which is different from the purchase of services.  When individuals "sponsor" something, it implies selfless giving.  My idea is not that paying members are "sponsoring" Groups.io.  They're buying a service.

(Its true that advertisers can "sponsor" something, but that's a special case.  And people who are looking for sponsors for e.g. an association or non-profit organisation may offer something in exchange, but that is the not same as buying.)