That is still my interpretation. (Even if a group itself is grandfathered in, members may have to start paying to join other groups. Nobody who created a groups.io account thought that was going to happen.)

Not to argue, yes but then again, nobody who created a groups.io account thought that at some point in time in the future their new free groups would have no Files/Photo/etc capabilities anymore; I think you may be taking the concept a bit too far, I don't know.

Cheers,
Christos