txercoupemuseum.org

Hi Dwayne,

You said (in part):  "While I do appreciate the grandfathering that is in place, at some point I expect it to end.  Maybe not while Mark is in charge (hopefully for a long time ;>), but someday.”

Back many years ago when I lived in California there was an older “tax reformer” by the name of Howard Jarvis that managed to get passed (by the referendum process) an absolute limit on property tax increases for homeowners.  It was called “Proposition 13”.  After all the hue and cry from the bureaucrats, it took effect.  The world didn’t end.

They made it a “one-time thing”, so if you didn’t have a home when it [assed, you didn’t get the benefit.  When you moved, you couldn’t take it with you.  So, over time, it made less and less difference to government finances.

In the same sense, over time, grandfathered groups will make up less and less of the demographics of Groups.io to the point their existence won’t make that much difference.  There is no reason Mark can’s put “growth limits” on grandfathered groups, since there IS an operational in redistributing lots of emails to subscribers.  He might even require, at some point, that “free groups” mandate digest delivery (less operational burden).

In short, there is no intrinsic reason that grandfathering has to end.  Like all things it can be managed, in terms of cost.

Best!

WRB

—

On Jan 9, 2021, at 11:09 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 10:34 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
So I can juwt tell anyone I don't think should be forced to pay
No one would be forced to pay as I read it.  There would be 'free slots' for each pricing tier that could be used or the group owner could upgrade to a higher tier with more free slots, as well as having the option of paying the incremental fee for additional members.   Unless/until the 'site membership' (assuming that's the plan) is implemented, there's no way to know how many people would get one.  Even though I have several grandfathered groups, including a Premium group, I'd still be willing to pay up to $10 per year to GIO for a membership.  I'm guessing/hoping that there would be quite a few people that feel the same, but we can't know unless it happens.

Based on Mark's comments and some research on my part, large groups are the exception rather than the rule.  Yes, it would be of some concern for those groups that attract a large number of members, but a site membership option might minimize the need to upgrade a group while still bringing in $$$ for GIO.